Personal Reflection
We phoned the Conservative riding and found out they would be at Moose Winooskis for 9:00PM
We arrived at the restaurant to find the scene very mellow as the votes rolled in. There was a section set off for the party, but not a person was inside this area.
We ordered some food and drinks to pass the time until things begun to liven up in the sectioned off room. As the time passed, we sat patiently at our seats. When we realized the TV had been turned to election coverage, the room began to see occupants.
When it livened, it had to be after 10:00PM. We found the inspiration inside us to trek on to the “Big Room.”
In my opinion, most people inside this room seemed rather unimportant, just shielding fire for the big guy whenever he would arrive. It was as if for most people, after they told their job title, I was left thinking, “And what do you do? Yeah I heard you, but what do you actually do? Canvas Chairman eh? What the hell is that?” I did my best to ask, but there is only so much I can do. After I asked one person, the bewildered expression made me think I should just not ask at all sometimes. Often, these people think since we are talking to them, we must know who they are, and exactly what their job entails. Maybe we should know.
There were some decent quotes gathered in here, but when they are from people whom you are not sure who they even are, it does not mean an awful lot. Their suit-and-ties seem nice, but when you are not sure of their job, it rubs off as somewhat like a ‘poser’.
Although there was no whining, the room was full of useless dead-end quotations from weightless sources. And with no sign of Dan McCreary or rumblings he would guaranteed show, we decided collectively that it is not much use that we stay.
We left Moose Winooskis just prior to 11:00PM. As we were leaving, we saw a few more important looking men who were dressed up walk past us and inside. “Was that him?” we all wondered in unison. “Who else could it be?” we, again collectively decided, and thought it would be well worth it if it were him.
Dan McCreary, indeed had walked in.
We followed him in, eager to hear if he was going to speak on today’s loss, or if we would have opportunity to talk to him first-hand.
To our delight, he spoke to the crowd. Through 11:30PM, he remained positive through obvious disappointment not making excuses, but rather showing optimism for the future. He did so while receiving praise from the crowd of about sixty at the Moose.
After he was finished, he had interviews and such, students waited around briefly while talking to some of the people we encountered first until my group gained a few good quotes, saw the party leader was still very occupied, and decided to leave, yet again.
We left for good at around 11:35PM.
My Observations
It was not easy. My position was awkward at best. I had questions lined up that were good questions, but clearly, not being able to verbalize them was a hinder.
I used fellow group members and other students to ask my questions for me on occasion, but primarily I used my phone to store quotations and to ask my own questions. At first—at least at first—the person who I was asking held a blank expression in awe, which is one I am not a stranger to, however do not enjoy, before they snap out of it and answer my question. They probably answer only not to be rude, and they see the validity of my question. Still, it is awkward.
I never wanted to be a reporter, obviously, but now I know for sure, this is not an apt area for me. I can still go into the field I suppose, but not to engage like so. The chaotic environment is just not a good one for me anymore.
Clearly, more research ahead of time was needed to be able to identify such people and their positions.
Jesse Ferguson
No comments:
Post a Comment