Election Night Reflection
By Jesse Ferguson
BRANTFORD-
For the election night in the
After a large amount of uncertainty, we invaded the special area sectioned off for the Conservative riding. Before long, dignified persons in suits began engagement with several reporters, who were in many cases, fellow students There were some decent quotes gathered here, but when they are from people whom you are not sure even are, then the weight of them is not too great. For most people, after they told their job title, I was left wondering, “And what do you do exactly? Yeah I heard your title, but what do you actually do?”
“I’m the Canvas Chairman.”
Canvas Chairman, huh?
Oh yeah?
Lovely, now would you mind explaining what the hell that is?
Clearly, more research ahead of time was needed of the Local Party to be able to identify such people and their positions. The room seemed full of useless dead-end quotations from weightless sources. Surely, with more research, these ‘weightless’ sources would have some weight. The suit-and-ties seem professional, but when you are not sure of their real job exactly, it rubs off the wrong way, and it feels unimportant.
Meanwhile, Mr. McCreary’s results were being posted on nearby television monitors. His hopes of becoming the Brant area’s representative in
When “the big guy,” as I just referred to him as, arrived, it got more exciting, fast, despite his loss. He remained a good sport and was positive through obvious disappointment. He did not make excuses, but rather he showed optimism for the future. He did so while receiving praise from the crowd of about sixty at the Moose.
My Observations
It was not easy. My position was awkward at best. I had questions lined up that were good questions, but clearly, not being able to verbalize them was a hinder.
I used fellow group members and students to ask my questions for me on occasion, but primarily I used my phone to store quotations and to ask my own questions. At first—at least at first—the person who I was asking held a blank expression in awe, which is one I am not a stranger to, however do not enjoy, before they snap out of it and answer my question. They probably answer only not to be rude, plus they see the validity of my question. Still, it is awkward.
I never wanted to be a reporter, obviously, but now I know for sure, this is not an apt area for me. I can still go into the field I suppose, fore I can still write the story of course, but not to engage like so. The chaotic environment is just not a good one for me anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment